Vegan Butternut Squash Soup | Rich & Creamy
I went all winter depriving myself of delicious soup– How could I have forgotten about soup?! Luckily, spring has held a damp chill in the air inspiring me to make something warm and comforting….. something like Butternut Squash Soup; effortless, vegan, delicious.
Gather around the Instant Pot for the sweet aroma of this squash soup.
How to Cut a Butternut Squash
I think butternut squash is wonderful, yet it can be a bit intimidating to work with. I know a lot of people will opt for the pre-cut packages but squash that idea (see what I did there?!). This process can be super simple and require just a few kitchen tools!
I will show you in pictures as well:
1) Skin the squash with a parer
2) Chop ends off and cut in half (lengthwise)
3) Scoop out the innards (keep the seeds to roast!)
4) Dice it up & it’s ready to go!
You Can Never Have Too Much Garlic
Really though, is there such a thing? I just love the smell of garlic, the taste of it– just love, love, love it! The benefits of garlic way outweigh any shame of reeking of it! Alright, rant over back to the soup!
At this point you will want to chop your garlic, onions, and ginger.
Add these three ingredients to your Instant Pot with a bit of water (or oil) and click ‘Saute’.
Once translucent you will want to add the remaining ingredients: butternut squash and all of your spices with about a cup of water!
Manually set your timer for 22 minutes, sit back & relax. Once finished, release pressure immediately (slowly)
On to the Creaminess
Next you will want to transfer your soup to a high speed blender along with your cashews, coconut cream, nutritional yeast and Miso. Blend until smooth.
Pour this concoction into bowl of choice and top with smoked paprika and cashews.
This soup would pair well with bread (yes!) or a nice light salad.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 medium Butternut squash; cubed
- 1 yellow onion; chopped
- 1 green onion; chopped
- 3 cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 thumb ginger; chopped
- 1 small apple (red, sweet variety)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg, cumin, sage, chili pepper flakes, turmeric
- 1 8 oz can coconut cream
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Miso
- 1/4 cup cashews
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt
- In your Instant Pot add garlic, onions, ginger with 1/2 cup water. Set to Saute
- Saute until translucent.
- Add butternut squash, apple and spices. Set Manual cook time to 22 minutes
- Release pressure and transfer to a high speed blender.
- Add coconut cream, miso, nutritional yeast, salt and cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl of choice and top with cashews, smoked paprika and more green onion (if desired)
Mo’ Soup for You!
I would love to spread the love and cheer for soup! This took me 30 minutes start to finish (including the Instant Pot cooking time!).
I love cooking, but sometimes it is nice to not be obligated to stay in the kitchen!
Let me know what you think of this soup, and always more soup for you! (If you get this adverse reference, then heck yes!)