How to Cook Quinoa in an Instant Pot
When I first got my Instant Pot, I thought it was going to be this magical, miracle device– one button to press and “POOF”: meal complete. It’s magical, just in more of a realistic way.
In this quick tutorial, I will be showing you how to make quinoa or “KEEN-WA” in your Instant Pot! This one is really quite simple, so that’s going to be the theme!
Which Instant Pot?
This is a question I get quite often, actually.
I would recommend the 6-qt Instant Pot. This is perfect for making a larger batch of quinoa (for the whole week!). I would only recommend smaller if it is for one person and said person doesn’t like leftovers. I would only suggest larger if you are feeding a very large family (6+ people).
Gather Your Supplies
Another simple step! You will only need:
- Your trusty Instant Pot
- Quinoa– it doesn’t matter which kind, but this is what I like to use!
- pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt
On to the Process
The Instant Pot definitely has a learning curve. It takes time to understand how it works– when to vent, how to get it to pressure faster, etc. I am still learning!
For quinoa (and most other recipes), I use the Manual button. I find it is safer than gambling with the preset buttons.
**My one HUGE hint for the Instant Pot: To get it to pressurize faster, first set it to Saute. This will heat up the element faster and then you can close the lid and start the pressurizing process (this will save about 20 minutes!)**
- 1:1 ratio of quinoa and water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- Combine all ingredients into Instant Pot
- Set to Saute, let it get warm then
- Close Lid
- Make sure the knob on top is turned to Sealing (not venting)
- Press ‘Manual’ button
- Adjust to 12 minutes
- Once finished, immediately release pressure by turning knob to venting
- Enjoy delicious quinoa!
I will include a simple video on how this process looks (side note: int his video I did not hit the saute function first. I had already been using my Instant Pot so it was warm and ready to go!)
It’s Just that Simple!
Hope you enjoyed this quick, little tutorial on cooking quinoa with your Instant Pot. Don’t be intimidated by this lovely machine, it will soon become your best friend!
Enjoy my friends.
Easy Instant Pot Quinoa
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- Combine all ingredients in Instant Pot
- Set Instant Pot to Saute
- Once warm, close lid
- Hit Manual Button, set for 12 minutes
- Upon finishing, release knob to vent immediately